1931 PONTIAC SPORT COUPE
1931 Pontiac Fine Six, Series 401
Our Model 31308 Sport Coupe uses a 200 cid 60 horsepower L-head 6 cylinder engine, has two doors and seats 2 to 4 people. The second 2 passengers would be in the “rumble seat” which opened across the back of the car, the spare tire would be found on the right front fender. Original cost was $715.
The year1931 was an important one for Pontiac. In 1926 Pontiac was introduced as a companion make for the General Motors’ Oakland. It sold so well that 1931 was the last full year of Oakland production. Pontiac supplied its dealers with a popular car; producing 84,708 vehicles in 1931.
This sport coupe was donated to become a part of the museum's core collection several years ago and has been a national AACA Senior Award winner. The award basically means that the car is an extremely accurate restoration, correct wiring, fasteners, and correct in every way.
AACA Senior vehicles are eligible to win only one Senior trophy, commonly called the Duryea Trophy. The vehicle must have the highest score in the class with a minimum score of 375 to win this Senior award. Any other vehicle scoring within 10 points of the highest score and above 375 will also be awarded the Senior award. Senior vehicles compete only against other Senior vehicles. Here is the link:
The choosing of the name Pontiac by General Motors is interesting. Pontiac was an Ottawa chief who became famous for his role in Pontiac’s Rebellion, 1763-1766. An American Indian struggle against the British military occupation of the Great Lakes Region., following the British victory in the French and Indian War. The war began in May 1763 when Pontiac and his followers attempted to take Fort Detroit by surprise. His plan failed, and he laid siege to the fort, eventually joined by 900 warriors from half a dozen tribes.
Pontiac antique hood ornaments/mascots have become very collectible in recent years – the Indian Goddess, Chieftain, Eagle and Brave. All are nickel and copper or chrome plated zinc.
The Pontiac was manufactured for 83 years – from 1926 to 2009.