Created 6-2011

 

The HO scale model was built by James A. Hill of Westbrook, Maine shortly before he passed away in January of 2003 at age 47. The model was kept by his father, Conrad “Doc” Hill, and donated to the Boothbay Railway Village Model Railroaders upon his passing in August, 2009. Peter Apuzzo of Maine Model Works in Falmouth made the recommendation to the  executor of Mr. Hill’s estate that his very accurate model come under the care of the Boothbay Railway Village.

 

 The actual Union Station was built in 1887-88 and opened on June 25, 1888 on the corner of St. John and Congress Streets. The building, including a later addition, was 350 feet long. The clock tower stood 138 feet high and was built with pink granite from the Redstone Quarry in Conway, New Hampshire. Sadly, the building was demolished on August 31, 1961 to make way for a commercial shopping mall.

 

The Boothbay Railway Village Model Railroaders have since restored the model, added scenery and details and built a new display case to protect the diorama. The Portland Union Station model is on display in the Freeport Station, near the ticket sales office.

Portland Union Station Model

Photos by George Paine

Model RR Home

Layout Description

Cement Plant

Fishing Village

Hillside Village

Servicing and Yard

Narrow Gauge

History

Eastern Front RR

Raffle

Portland Union Station

Return to Boothbay RR Village Home Page